A separate summer application is not required. You will automatically be considered for financial aid for the summer if ALL of the following are true:
- You have released your FAFSA data to Purdue Northwest for the current academic year (2017-18)
- You have provided all documents needed to complete your financial aid file at Purdue Northwest
- You are admitted as a degree-seeking student at Purdue Northwest
- You are meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements at Purdue Northwest
- You have not exhausted your financial aid eligibility during the fall and spring semesters either at Purdue Northwest and/or another institution
- You are registered for the summer term
Make sure you have completed the following items in preparation for summer 2018:
- Make payment arrangements for any balance remaining on your account that is not covered by your financial aid by the summer fee payment deadline of May 24, 2018 for all students enrolled in classes that begin in May.
- Make payment arrangements for any balance remaining on your account that is not covered by your financial aid by the summer fee payment deadline of June 15, 2018 for all students enrolled in classes that begin in June and July
- Check your Satisfactory Academic Progress status for summer in May shortly after spring grades have posted. Should your status change to “ineligible” you are responsible for payment of your bill in full. You may appeal an “ineligible” status one time as an undergraduate and one time as a graduate. See the Satisfactory Academic Progress webpage for details.
Beginning March 2018 we will begin calculating summer aid eligibility for students who meet the criteria outlined above. Students who are eligible to receive financial aid for summer should watch for the following:
- A message posted to Student Self-Service via the myPNW portal regarding your summer award status.
- An email sent to your PNW student email account.
- Award(s) will be posted to Student Self-Service via myPNW for your review and action (accept or decline your federal loans and/or federal work study).
- Federal Pell Grant and Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant is automatically accepted for you. Loans and Federal Work-Study) require you to accept or decline the award in Student Self-Service. Students who were full time for both fall and spring and are enrolled half-time (at least six credit hours) will be eligible for additional Federal Pell Grant for summer. If a student who is at least half-time in summer and has received additional Pell Grant drops below half-time on or before July 25, the additional Pell Grant will be removed.
- Students not eligible for summer aid will be notified via email and a message will also be posted in Student Self-Service.
- Students whose current “Satisfactory Academic Progress” status is “warning”, “probationary”, or “ineligible” will NOT have their summer aid eligibility calculated until after spring 2018 grades have been posted and their ”Satisfactory Academic Progress” status has been updated.
- IMPORTANT! The summer term is comprised of several modules in varying lengths between May 14 and August 16, 2018. For students who are enrolled during the summer term the Financial Aid Office reviews a student’s aid eligibility at three points in time: May 14, June 11, and July 25. Your financial aid including your Federal Pell Grant (if eligible) will be reviewed and revised if necessary up until the final summer financial aid census date on July 25, 2018. Make sure you are enrolled for the desired number of credits before this date and notify the Registrar, Bursar’s Office and Financial Aid Office of any changes in your enrollment. The Office of Financial Aid will not adjust aid for classes added after this date in the summer semester.
- DISBURSEMENT SCHEDULE FOR SUMMER 2018: Federal Direct Stafford and PLUS loans for summer will be paid in two disbursements based on the dates of your enrollment. If you are in more than one term for summer, your disbursement schedule will be based on the combined terms. If you take classes in term S1 (5/14-6/8) or S4 (5/15-6/22), S7 (5/14-5/19) or S12 (5/14-6/15) your second disbursement will occur after the class has ended. Be sure to review the Key Registration and Payment Dates webpage. Visit the Bursar’s Office Payment Options webpage for payment options.
Summer 2018 Disbursement Schedule
|TERM||DATES||DISBURSEMENT 1||DISBURSEMENT 2|
|1||5/14 – 8/3||5/9||7/2|
|S1||5/14 – 6/8||5/9||7/2|
|S2||6/11 – 8/3||6/6||7/2|
|S3||6/11 – 7/6||6/6||7/2|
|S4||5/14 – 6/22||5/9||7/2|
|S5||6/25 – 8/3||6/20||7/2|
|S6||7/9 – 8/3||7/5||7/23|
|S7||5/14 – 5/19||5/9||7/2|
|S8||7/25 – 8/16||7/20||8/6|
|S9||6/4 – 7/27||5/30||7/2|
|S10||5/14 – 7/17||5/9||7/2|
|S11||6/28 – 7/13||6/25||7/2|
|S12||5/14 – 6/15||5/9||7/2|
|S13||6/14 – 7/26||6/11||7/2|
|S14||5/14 – 7/23||5/9||7/2|
|S15||5/14 – 7/9||5/9||7/2|
|S16||5/14 – 8/16||5/9||7/2|
Please refer to the program course offerings for the Executive MBA or RN to BSN Online programs.
Types of Financial Aid you may be eligible to receive summer 2018
|Aid Program||Minimum Cr. Hrs.||Other Considerations||Award Process|
|Federal Pell Grant
|1 credit hour for remaining Pell eligibility (if not enrolled full-time during both fall and spring).
6 credit hours if full Pell eligibility used in fall and spring.
|If NOT enrolled full-time during fall and spring you would be eligible for your remaining Pell Grant eligibility during the summer.
If enrolled full-time during fall and spring, you will be eligible for additional Pell grant in summer if enrolled in at least 6 credit hours.
|Automatically awarded & accepted|
|Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant||6 credit hours (priority)||Awarded based on fund availability||Automatically awarded & accepted|
|Federal Work Study||6 credit hours (priority)||Awarded based on fund availability||Student must accept/or decline award in Student Self-Service via myPNW|
|Child of Certain Veterans and Public Safety Officers Supplemental Grant Program (CDO)||1 credit hour||Must be below the 124 credit hour program maximum.
Must have a processed FAFSA on file for the 2017-18 academic years
|Automatically awarded & accepted.
Notify us if you are awarded CDO and wish to decline this award.
|Federal Stafford Loan (Subsidized and Unsubsidized)||6 credit hours (undergraduate)
4 credit hours (graduate)
|Annual Loan Limit: If you have borrowed up to your maximum annual Stafford Loan limit during the fall and/or spring semester you will not have any Stafford Loan eligibility remaining for summer.
Grade Classification: If you have borrowed up to your maximum Stafford Loan limit at your current grade classification you will not have any Stafford Loan eligibility remaining for the summer. You may wish to contact your Academic Advisor to see if your grade classification is current. Notify the Office of Financial Aid if there is a change made to your grade classification.
|Student must accept/or decline award in Student Self-Service via myPNW|
|Federal PLUS (Parent Loan)||6 credit hours (student)||Parent must complete a PLUS loan application and Master Promissory Note (MPN) in order to receive these funds for summer.||Accepted as a result of the parent submitting their PLUS loan application and MPN located at: www.studentloans.gov .|